• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

want to do 2.5 to 3 gallon batches ? BIAB or Mash?

Polar Bear

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to brew 2.5 to 3 gallon batches of AG beer. I prefer the darker ales but would like to brew some Saison and Kolsch. Why small batches? I am a graduate student in the medical healthcare field and am broke. I mostly volunteer my time in more remote underprivileged areas in the midwest. Thus, my only options are to drink commercial light beer, order on line or brew what I prefer to drink. Do to the fact I get moved around allot and put in rather small apartments during this time the smaller batches work for me. My question? Is it better to BIAB or go to the more traditional mash and use batch sparge techniques. I have heard that brewing beer with more body can have noticeable changes when BIAB. Any thoughts. I also make wine in three gallon batches so I have mostly three gallon carboys. My current equipment is a 5 gallon Igloo, 22 qt SS pot, 20 qt SS pot, 2 big turkey frier pots ?qt. Any suggestions or comments on equipment or which technique is greatly appreciated. Also for most 3 gallon batches what might the average amount of grains be?

Previously, I used a 20 qt s/s pot to mash ~7.5# of grain, and usually filled the pot with wort, boiling down to about 3.25 gallons.  I would mash "free range" and put the pot in a warm oven ~170F to maintain temps. 

I could have mashed more but the limit was the pasta strainer I used for lautering.  More weight would have been tricky in/out of the oven, so it worked.  I learned AG that way before moving outside. 

Several people here do BIAG, and that might be better in apartments where you just toss the grain bag.  I compost mine so loose was easier.

Polar Bear,
          If you have the equipment for traditional brewing I would just keep doing it with modified grist amounts. The beer produced with BIAB ( which I now do exclusively ) is no better or worse that traditionally brewed beer. It's just that it takes less equipment, time and it's easier for new brewers to start all grain (AG). Last week I took a second place in my first beer competition with a BIAB NC (no chill) beer.
        Maybe we as a whole should start giving ingredients as percentages so that they may be scaled to any total amount?

If you haven't purchased the equipment yet, I'd give Brew in a bag a try.

Did you make your own bag or buy one?
I see that voile, or is it viole(?), is recommended but how much would it hold, weight and volume.

I'm intrigued.

Most voile comes in 59" or 60" widths.  A 60" X 60" fits inside my large 12 gallon pot (18" diameter, 12" walls) with some hanging over all edges easily.  I dont have to "make" a bag.  Just put the grains in the center and fold up the edges.  I have not been able to find 100% nylon voile though.  I am going to use 100% polyester.  They are very similar.....I hope?  My colander fits in the bottom of my pot with about 3/4" all the way around.  I am going to put in there to keep the bag up off the bottom.

Back