• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oatmeal Stout

andrewm806

Apprentice
Reaction score
This was my first time doing a oatmeal stout, and when i was finished brewing and ready to get it into the carboy, the brew was so thick i had to squeez liquid out for quite some time, i did exactly as the recipe asked for, although now that its in the carboy, I notice that seperation between liquid and thicker liquid is in a odd seperation stage. Is this alright? its only been in the carboy for 24 hours.

Any words of wisdom would be great.
Andrew

??? Does not sound good.  Need a little info,  recipe, directions etc. in order to give a valid opinion.

Well i used a standard oatmeal stout recipe from my local brew shop, The recipe did not tell me to add more than a gallon from the first boil, now that i know how long it took me to add brew to carboy, i would have liked the process of moving to be less stressfull, should have used original 2 gallon boil instead of one next time. funny thing is...beer turned out great....so maybe im doing something correct.
Thanks anyways.

A :)

Glad the beer is good.
Did you put the oatmeal in the MT with the grain?
Was it Steel-Cut or Rolled oats?
Did you pre cook it (decoction) to extract the starches before adding it to the mash?
What was the Mash temp and time?
Did you do a starch test?  For my money, when using a lot of Oats you bloody well better do a starch test before quitting the mash.

I just did an ale with a fair bit of rolled oats. I decocted them first.
The oats gave me my very first stuck sparge. It was totally stuck~!!  I fixed  it by just dumping the MT out into a big pot  and clearing  the lines with forced water.  Then back into the MT and it was all good. 
They also made the wort a light almost milky color until the conversion was pretty near complete.
However I have not observes any separation of the fluids into any stata.

It's unlikely that I will  see any stratification now that it's in the fermentor 'cause it's SST.
However  if there is any stratification it'll  like be because of a  mass  delta between  various of the  constituents. 
It doesn't make a lot of sense to say that sugars from oats will be different from those of barley but  the flavoring compounds attached might be of different buoyancy. Which maybe possibly might make for a liquid stratification - - maybe.

I rather suspect that you had unconverted starches galore.

Always do a starch test.  It's easy peasy: Take a little of the wort (like less than a teaspoon) put it on a  clear or white  glass or ceramic  plate and add to it  a few drops of some iodine and  stir with your finger.
If it turns black that means you have starch galore, and  you are not done mashing.

Hey, thanks for the info. You are clearly on another level than I am in brewing, but as these things go, the more info im giving the more educated I will be to use that info the next time.
Beer makes the world go round.

Back