• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Vanilla Extract.

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
If I am going to add extract to a 5 gallon batch how much should I add. I don't want an over powering flavor just enough to notice a slight flavor to it.

Hi there,

I'm a bit of newby at all this but I did read somewhere that for a 5 gallon batch a guy added about 1 tbsp of vanilla extract to his secondary to give it a slight flavouring but checked every few days to see what the flavour was like and added a bit more if he felt it was needed.

Can't find the thread that I saw but if I can find it I will post a link on here.  ???

Maybe it's case of adding a little to start with and checking.

At what point were you thinking of adding the vanilla in?

Cheers

I was going to add vanilla in the secondary. I saw where someone put in 1.5 tablespoons into a wheat beer, and that was over powering. I am doing a dark ale so that should hide some of the flavor, so I will do 1 tablespoon, and hopfully that will be just enough.
Thanks

Back