• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wit Time

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My club has started a Wit Challenge.  We have a pretty solid sense of direction from both the BJCP judges we have and Randy Mosher providing us some guidance.

My question is-What would I use for setttings when I add White Unmalted Wheat?

Thanks!

Great question, I am getting ready to brew a Cranberry Lambic and was just wondering the same thing about unmalted red wheat. Look forward to answers from the experts.

Brad recommends using the malted white wheat numbers except lowering the potential to 77%

I'm actually going to make an oatmeal wheat stout with unmalted white wheat. The timing of this question is perfect because i was wondering what I should do. 

I'm also using quick oatmeal, I'm wondering if a cereal mash is appropriate here?  Should I do anything different than I normally would with unmalted white wheat

For my wit I'm doing an adjunct or cereal mash.  Putting the oats and wheat in with some 6 row.  Then I'll mash the rest like normal.  This gives the wit sheen per Randy Moser.

Would a protein rest with the unmalted wheat do the trick in a stout?

Back