• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Serving Suggestions

H

holodeck

Ok, this may be silly, but is there any way to get a suggested  ingredient weight based on Gravity and Ingredients? For example, I know the O.G. is 1.072. Final is 1.022. I'm an extract brewer using a 5 gallon pot and I know each grain that will be added (roasted barley, black patent, Munich, etc.) If I know that I need to start with an Amber Malt in the 50% range, can the program suggest the weights of the additional ingredients based on the above profile?

Sure,
 Just add a few pounds of malt in the correct proportions (for example 3 lbs of Amber, 3 lbs of pale malt), and then use the "Adjust Gravity" to get your amounts correct for a 1.072 OG.

You can do the same thing for hops using the "Adjust Bitterness" command.

Your steeped grains only add a small amount to the original gravity, but they do affect color and flavor.  You can use the color as a basis on some styles, but the best guide in general is probably to look at some other people's recipes for the same style.

Cheers!
Brad

Back