• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Vodka Mixture

stevemwazup

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
    I remember reading a post about adding hops with some vodka to a french press, then using the hop infused vodka to give a beer more of a hop kick.
I'm wanting to try that method with some orange peel instead.
I don't remember who the post was from or all the instructions involved to make this tonic.
I do remember in the post it said to add a little water to the vodka, then freeze the tonic, the ice will then act as a filter for all the hop particles. I would like to use a Brita water filter pitcher instead. Would you see any reason not to use the Brita pitcher over the ice filter, besides cost?
Do you have to warm up the vodka first?
Any advise would be great.
I recently made a pale ale, using orange peel for the first time ( 1oz at 5min, and 1oz at flame out )
Just in case I want to increase the orange flavor, I thought I would try this vodka tonic trick, but I'm needing some help with what to do.
Thanks again
stevemwazup

stevemwazup,
        Here is my web-page on how I make Hop Vodka. http://www.stempski.com/hop_vodka.php The water-vodka mixture is about 50%. I never tested the proper amount scientifically. I just guessed. As long as the hops settle and sink the method works. Orange peal sounds neat. Give it a go!

Thanks Bob. I checked out your web site. Great pictures .
I think I'll try both method, the Brita filter pitcher and also the ice filter.
I'll give it a try and I'll let you know how it turned out.
Thanks
stevemwazup

wouldn't you be better off using something like "Graves 190"  or EverClear?

I don't know.
I know vodka is pretty neutral in taste when adding other flavors to it.
I'm sure EverClear would be too but I don't know about the burning affect, (Hot alcohol taste)  when drinking it. Would it give off the same affect if added to the beer?
stevemwazup

Well the hot alcohol taste is because the stuff is almost 100% pure.
I think 200-proof is 100%  pure and 80-proof is like 40% alcohol with water filling out the rest.
So  190-proof should be pretty hot on the palate.

I tried some straight  100% pure  from Fisher Chemicals that  I  got in a laboratory supply.  No benzine, it  even had the tax  stamp.  It was awful. 
I mean positively horrible.  One sip and I spit it out.  I tried it with some orange juice.  Still awful.  At the time I was unaware of the proof designations as they compared to percentage of purity so I prolly screwed up the mix but still it was awful stuff.

Back