• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg carbonation level question

Berkyjay

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So I have a couple of Belgian styles that I kegged and I am force carbonating them at about 20psi in order to get a good carbonation level for the style.  But my friend who I brew with said that it was pointless to carbonate at that level because when you drop the CO2 down to serving pressures (10-14psi) that the kegs will equalize to that pressure level and you will lose carbonation.  Can anyone confirm this?  Is there a solution to carbonating at a high level but still serve the beer without it being all head?

Do you have more than one carbonation level source? I have a distribution device that has four outputs that I leave at 12 lbs pressure for serving. I also have a separate valve that I force carbonate with. I keep that at 25lbs (or so)? I have used this to keep a beer at higher carbonation level if needed. Yes, at 18lbs you will get foam. I don't know if the amount of carbonation used to create this foam negates the added carbonation. I just try to be careful when filling the pitcher I use on these occasions. Anyway, your friend is probably right. I like foam but not if it uses up all the carbonation. Also, the colder the beer is the more carbonation it will hold.

BobBrews said:
Do you have more than one carbonation level source? I have a distribution device that has four outputs that I leave at 12 lbs pressure for serving. I also have a separate valve that I force carbonate with. I keep that at 25lbs (or so)? I have used this to keep a beer at higher carbonation level if needed. Yes, at 18lbs you will get foam. I don't know if the amount of carbonation used to create this foam negates the added carbonation. I just try to be careful when filling the pitcher I use on these occasions. Anyway, your friend is probably right. I like foam but not if it uses up all the carbonation. Also, the colder the beer is the more carbonation it will hold.

Thanks for the reply.  My set up is a single CO2 canister which is connected to two corny kegs via a T connector.  I don't have the ability to run more than 1 line with my kegerator.  What I am really curious about is will I lose carbonation over time just by reducing the psi level on the CO2 canister bellow what the keg was originally carbonated at?

I am really curious about is will I lose carbonation over time just by reducing the psi level on the CO2 canister bellow what the keg was originally carbonated at?

Berkyjay,
      It seems it would lose carbonation but... I force carbonate and then connect to a 12lb supply. I should release the pressure first so that the beer doesn't foam up but I don't! Usually it's because I just forget, I think too it's because I just don't want to waste the gas I paid for! ANYWAY, The beer seems to stay foamy for quite a while. I would think that the pressure would equalize rather quickly but it doesn't seem too. I don't think their are check valves involved? Maybe they are?

Back