• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oktoberfest Water Profile

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Any suggestions?  The reason I'm not simply defaulting to the Munich profile is that I'm not sure if today's versions of this beer really use the historical Munich water profile?  Anyone know? 

Thanks

WR

If I were to do a Marzen, this is what I'd target for the mash:

SRM 12
RA  53

ppm
Ca      70
Mg      15            sufficient Ca and Mg to ensure good lager ferm.
Na      <30
Chl      70
Sulf      55          C:S ratio in the 1.1 to 1.3 range, balanced to low malty.

MaltLiker,

thanks for the response.  are suggesting using the same water profile for a marzen that you would use for an Oktoberfest?  I went ahead and brewed up the beer this weekend and I targeted the  Munich profile in the EZ water calculator but I'd be interested in your input for future reference

thanks again

wR

Yea, O-Fest is our translation of Germany's Marzenbier.  I think they brewed it as summer was heating up, lagered it over summer, and broke it out for their fall celebrations.

Which, given the insane hot temps this summer, may be my plan next year. 

And that profile is just my idea based on the style.  As you hinted, I personally doubt Munich brewers are still "targeting" their native historical profiles these days.  Now, they understand all these water chemistry issues, whereas back then they did not, and trial-n-errored their way to a brew/recipe that worked with water they could not change. 

Back