• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barrel Aging

andrewm806

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a general question about barrel aging, is this done after you ferment in the carboy? if not does it go straight into fermentation process in barrel?

Simple question but thought I would post. thanks

andrewm806 said:
I have a general question about barrel aging, is this done after you ferment in the carboy? if not does it go straight into fermentation process in barrel?

Simple question but thought I would post. thanks

No, you want to do this well after fermentation is done.  You also want to soak the barrel with some form of sanitizer in between beers to insure that no yeast remain in the barrel.

Im doing a Imperial Brown ale, what barrel type would you recommend for a 5 gallon batch?

andrewm806 said:
Im doing a Imperial Brown ale, what barrel type would you recommend for a 5 gallon batch?

This is the barrel that my brew partner bought from MoreBeer and we love it.  It's price is good and we haven't had to age the beer that long to get positive results.  

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/11050/103235/Wine_Barrel_-_New_Oak_-__Vadai_Hungarian_-_23L_6.1gal

Be sure to research proper barrel care and use.  There should be plenty of links out there on Google for this.

Back