• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beersmith lost my registration and all my settings!

K

kevinkaseykizer

I went to launch beersmith today and its asking for my registration key and it lost all of my equipment settings and recipes i had in it!

what did i break? lol

Hi,
  If you are running Vista or Windows 7 the most frequent cause of this is changing the UAC (user access control) settings for the user you regularly use under the windows control panel.  Go to the windows control panel, user settings for the user/login you use.  Then look for the UAC setting and try setting it back to the opposite of what it is now.

This will usually correct things - it is caused by the strange way that Vista/Win 7 handle virtual directories.

I'm going to correct this in the next version by storing all data in your Documents directory.

Cheers,
Brad

This also happened to me. Thinking that I could just restore from the backup, I tried the 'recover table' option in Beersmith first. That didn't work, and now changing my UAC settings back doesn't restore my recipes or brew logs.

Where are these stored exactly? How can I get them back?

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory and your recipes are in Recipes.bsm

However under Vista/Win 7 you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista/Win 7.

Note that on many systems this is a hidden/system directory which will not show up unless you go into the options for Windows file explorer and set it to show hidden/system files.

Back