• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing a Pumpkin ale Question

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a pumpkin ale tonight, and the directions that I received say to put in pumpkin at the beginning of boil.  Wont that just boil off all of the flavor. Others put it in for the last 10 minutes of boil that makes more sense to me for adding flavor of pumpkin. What should I do? Anyone experienced with making a pumpkin ale?
Thanks.

Add it at the last 20 min of the boil. That way you get the most flavor and any bugs will be killed off because of the boil time.... I would also add that you should use pure pumpkin like Libby's. Are you planning on adding any spices with it? Maybe some Star-anise or cinnamon?

Cheers
Preston

Yes, I am adding spices and organic canned pumpkin. Add the spices right at the end? Last 5 minutes?

Nutmeg, clove, ginger and cinnamon are all good.  Last 5-10 minutes will last longer, I think.

been reading elsewhere that pumpkin is better in the mash than the boil.  Since I am not yet into AG, I like your idea better for now.
  What will we have to deal with in a boil? Will there be mucho trub? or several strainers needed?
...and what about somebody's suggestion to supplement sweet potatoes for more flavor???
Thanks 

I have added it to both. For me when I put it in mash, it was hard to lauter. I would suggest adding rice hulls in that case. When I put it in the boil (which is what I will do again). I felt the taste was better, and yes there will be trub. but if you get a good hot-break all the proteins will fall out. I sucked most of it up and it went into the primary (IMO it's Yeast food!). I added Knox gelatin to the secondary and all was well.

I have not tried sweet potatoes, but it does sound promising because of the starches.

Cheers
Preston

Mucho Grande Trubo de Pumpkin

Boost your batch size by half gallon to account for it.  The pix were from 5# used in ~6.5 gallon boil.

Attachments

• PumpkinTrub.JPG
    PumpkinTrub.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PumpkinTrub2.JPG
    PumpkinTrub2.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 3
I use fresh pie pumpkins.  Cut in half and cook them cut side down in a 350F oven for 45-60 minutes.  Let cool.  Scoop meat and seeds out and add to mash.  You can cook them ahead of time and save in a air tight container or vacuum sealed bag.  Use fresh spices in last 5 minutes of the boil and let them steep a few minutes while chilling or draining through plate chiller.  No need to mash it up so fine that you end up with a stuck mash.

This method has won many awards by me and other brewers in my club.

UselessBrewing said:
ML
That's on your spin plate right?

Yea, and I kept these pix b/c it showed how well the trub and stuff layers down after spinning.  Looks like sand art. 

Good luck, we love experimenters.
BUT good beer like good wine can only be made from the time honoured starting ingredients:
Grapes for wine.
Malted barley for beer.

Back