• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wort straining

jasonk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Looking for some input on straining wort before putting it in the fermenter. In the past I have always poured my wort through a stainless steel strainer, partially to get the junk out, and also to aeriate the wort on the way into the fermenter. I ask this because my beer always tastes thinner than I think it should, based on my recipies and the rest of my brewing procedures. Would I gain anything by pouring my wort unstrained into the fermenter.

Trub and hops litter, I suspect.  ;)  I wasted a lot of time chasing purity in the wort when a lot of stuff is just still in solution and unable to really be strained.  I gave up, figuring I was doing what I could.  Then I moved brewing outside.

The combination of a keg as boiler (concave bottom collects a lot), great chilling for a better cold break, and a s/s scrubby on the inside of the boiler works great.  The scrubby gets covered in hops crap and makes a very fine filter.  The last defense is a filter bag on the fermenter.  When I remember the s/s thing, the clarity of wort is like a finished beer. 

So, personally, I think we should do what we can with the equipment we have, and not worry about the rest.

Thinness or lack of body is a function of dextrins and medium-length proteins, so mash temps (higher) may help, or a small dose of wheat for the protein.  If you are doing AG, adjusting your water chemistry is another thing that may increase the "maltiness" of the beer. 

Attachments

• CB2.JPG
    CB2.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Transfer2.jpg
    Transfer2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 9
+1 ML

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer for hops similar to this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hop-strainer-34303/ . Barring that, I try to get everything I can out of the Kettle. IMO the extra protein feeds the Yeast and will fall out of solution eventually.

Cheers
Preston

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. What are your opinions on secondary fermentation? In the past I have moved my beer out of primary after three to five days and left it in the secondary for a week or two. I was considering making a batch and just leaving it in the primary for about three weeks, then kegging. I am an all grain brewer and kegger. I have a 5cf freezer with a two tap tower. Your thoughts?

That one will go both ways, and has sparked heated discussions...

IMO, If you feel it is best for your beer go for it. If you want to skip the step go for it. For me it depends, sometimes I do it, sometimes not. I have noticed that I get more debris from the first few glasses poured from the keg, but I can live with that.

Cheers
Preston

Whether to do a secondary is your call, but 3-5 days in primary is much too quick.  It might be 99% done fermenting the maltose and simpler sugars, but the complex sugars probably aren't done, and none of the "cleanup" of the fermentation byproducts that the yeast does is complete by Day 5.  All your beers would likely be improved if you left in primary 10-14 days.  If you want to skip secondary, then let it sit 21 days and then package.  It's only going to get getter as byproducts get resolved and clarity improves. 

Test it, and do a larger batch, splitting it between a quick primary and a lengthy one to see what difference it makes.  I'm betting you'd have two very different beers.

I brew BIAB/NC (Brew in a Bag with No Chill). I use a hop bag for my hops so their is less hop litter in the wort. I allow all the trub that is produced to go into my cube (which holds the boiling wort) It cools overnight and (usually) I siphon it out of the cube in the next few days into the fermentation bucket. I give it about two weeks for ale, a little longer for lager. If I dry hop I do it in the primary a week before kegging. I no longer see a need for a secondary for my (normal?) brewing. I never use a hydrometer for I can see a good fermentation working and two weeks gives it time enough. Besides I don't care about ABV. I am a lazy brewer but my beer turns out great.

Yea, i use a strainer and funnel when i go from my boil pot to carboy. never had a problem. I try to make a clear as i can beer and this helps. I also transfer to a secendary and by the time i pour it from my keg, its nice and clear.

Back