• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewhouse efficiency

KevinC

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a question about how to use the Brewhouse efficiency button on the recipe page.  I'm not sure the relationship between that button /form and the Brewhouse efficiency field on the recipe page.  Am I supposed to enter the percentage from the last batch brewed in the field or do I open the form and fill out the gravity fields there and then change the field on the recipe to match what the form gives me for a setting?  Just not sure what or when I'm supposed to use that field?

Kevin

The BrewHouse Efficiency (BE) button will help you get an idea of how efficient your all grain extraction is.

After you brew your batch, take an Original Gravity (OG) reading click the BE button and plug that number into the Actual OG "field". The software will give you what your BE is as a percentage.

Once you have brewed several times using the software. You will get an idea of what your average "BE" is (granted this will be a moving target). Plug your average BE number into the field before you brew the next batch, and you should get a better idea what your OG will be at the end of the boil. A good number to start with would be around 60%. Some of us have hit mid 80's before. My personal goal is mid 70's, which is what I have as my average.

Cheers
Preston

And it is important to build an Equipment Profile that fits your setup.  If you lose wort in any deadspace, that should be reflected in the equipment settings so that BeerSmith gives you "credit" for the wort you made. 

For ex, my mash and lauter efficiency are quite high, but my overall Eff% is low because I choose to toss 1.2 gallons of gunk wort from the boiler. 

Back