• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strange flavor after bottling

I

icroof

I have made an Oktoberfest Hybrid (used Ale vs. Lager yeast).  Primary fermentation was 4 days at 74F.  Secondary fermentation was 1 week at 74F. Then I did a cold condition at 48F for 1 week. Color, clarity, aroma, taste, OG and FG were dead on.  Then I bottled it using priming sugar and stored it at 74F for 1 week.  The carbonation was perfect but now there is a strange flavor.  Not good at all.  I have never experienced acetaldehyde (Green apple) flavor but this may be what it is.  Any thoughts as to whether this can happen after bottling and could it be that the yeast will continue to convert this to ethanol.

Thanks,

Ian

You may have rushed it... Can you post the recipe for us to look at. Spices and Adjuncts need time to mellow. I usually give mine around 90 days lagering.

If it is truly green/young, it will most likely subside over time. However if it is an infection, and you see rings inside the bottles, then you will need to drink it fast. Cause it will only get worse from here.

If you do see rings in the bottles. Check all the bottles, If only a few have rings. Then your problem lies in your bottling process. If all of them have rings, you can suspect that the batch was infected prior to bottling.

Cheers
Preston

This is my recipe.  I didn't add any adjuncts.  There are no rings inside any of the bottles.

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 7/25/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Suwanee Creek
Boil Size: 2.43 gal Asst Brewer:  
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)  
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.16
Taste Notes:  

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.30 lb Muntons Light LME (4.3 SRM) Extract 51.81 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 36.14 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.02 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 6.02 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.30 %] (60 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [5.80 %] (45 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [5.80 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [5.10 %] (3 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc  
5.00 gal Gwinnett County 2010 Water  
1 Pkgs Safale American ale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.62 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.82 %
Bitterness: 20.4 IBU Calories: 217 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.0 SRM Color: Color  

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 4.00 lb
Sparge Water: 1.91 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 170.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.00 qt of water at 165.5 F 152.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.7
Pressure/Weight: 5.1 oz Carbonation Used: 5.00 CORN SUGAR
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 74.0 F Age for: 7.0 days
Storage Temperature: 74.0 F  

The off flavor seems to be a little better after a week.  I'll check again this weekend.  Antother advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anything you could do to better control the ferm temp would improve every batch.  The yeast make the beer; we brewers merely make the wort.  74F during fermentation, and then taking it off the primary after just four days may have caused some funk that may or may not decrease much over time.

You might try the same recipe again in January and use Nottingham dry at 60F and get dramatically different results. 

Back