• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beers started off good, now tasting bad

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I kegged a Pale Ale about 3 weeks ago, after carbonating, it tasted great.  After about 2 weeks it started having a funky taste to it.  Did I get a bacteria infection somehow, and if so from wear. I always clean and sanatize my lines, etc.

What does it taste like?

I'm guessing the keg, poppet valves...etc are to blame.

Do you completely disassemble the keg to clean and then sanitize?

cheers

I usually do not take apart the poppet valves to clean. I do however, put cleaner and sanitizer in the lines, and run it through and let it soak in the lines.  Apparently, I need to take them apart and clean. Taste like a bad dirty beer.

I take mine completely apart after each batch and thoroughly clean.  The only special peace of equipment you really need is a brush that for the dip tube that runs the entire length.  The posts and poppet vales are pretty easy to clean and you should probably replace the o-rings if you haven't - they're cheap.  Give them all a good soak in star san before resembling and you'll be good to go.

Perhaps after enough time, your beer will become a lambic.:)

cheers

Thanks for the input, always something more to clean. Glad I did this on a Pale and not on one of my more exclusive beers.

Back