Author Topic: Big Spiced Beers and Aging  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Big Spiced Beers and Aging
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:40:41 PM »
I want to make a big spiced x-mas ale but I'm wondering how well they keep.  I know big beers need some maturation time but do the spice notes fade over time like hop notes do?  Will a 1.090 beer made this weekend still be good this time next year if I use things like nutmeg, ginger etc.?

thanks for the help

Offline BobBrews

• Bob Brews Beer
  • I Brew, I Drink, N'uff said.
    • Stempski.com BIAB
Re: Big Spiced Beers and Aging
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:46:27 AM »
Wildrover,

I made spiced beer a few years ago. It was too spicy for me. I used it for chili and marinade. A year or so later I found a six pack and thought I would give it a try. Whooa, it mellowed out and was very drinkable. The spice was more mellow and much more complex. The chili was good but the beer was better with age. I regret not shelving the spiced beer right away rather than drinking three weeks after brewing. Good luck
Bob Brews
Brew in a Bag Brewer BIAB
http://www.biabrewer.info

icroof

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
Generally speaking a beer that has a high gravity and heavy spices generally needs to mature much longer than other beers.  I would say that a strong x-mas ale that is heavily spiced should age at least 6 months.  They mellow over time and the flavors blend.  Kind of like chili.  It might be good today but it will be great in 2 days.

Offline Wildrover

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Sounds great, I'd like to make some this weekend, maybe have some around x-mas but I'm really interested in shelving them and letting them keep for a year or more.  We'll give it a try