• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Gone Wild!

Monge

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A couple of days ago I brewed an all extract batch of a Belgian Abbe Sieyes.  It called for a yeast starter including yeast nutrient which I started 36 hours before pitching.  Within 24 hours the airlock clogged with thick foam which I cleaned repeatedly.  Eventually the entire top blew off the fermenting bucket flying halfway across the basement!  Things settled down after 3 days and the airlock is now bubbling at a reasonable rate.  I'm assuming I just got a really good fermentation going very quickly but is there any way to keep things under control next time? 

Thanks.

Yea.
Instead of putting an airlock on, you can put on a blow off hose.
Attach a hose to the top of your fermenter (where the airlock usually goes) and stick the other end in a bucket of water.
This will allow any kraussen to spill out of the tube into the bucket, instead of clogging an airlock, building up pressure and shooting halfway across the basement

Thanks C.P.  That sounds like a better idea than crawling around the basement looking for blown parts!

Yes! I just use the hose method everytime now, I started doing that a couple of years ago when I realized that scrubbing dried sticky hops off the ceiling wasn't any fun at all, lol.
I just took a regular rubber stopper (like the one you stick your airlock into) And (very very tightly) got the hose down in one. I just use that for the whole primary pretty much. No problems since

Back