• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith on Android?!?!

Mattcrecelius

Apprentice
Reaction score
Forget the iphone....Android is the future.

I would love to see beersmith for android!!!

That would be great to see. Even if it was just a viewer.

Not there yet - but perhaps in the future.  I'm trying to get my book out and also finish up the next version of BeerSmith first.

Brad

Would love to see this happen.. I would love to be able to carry recipes, work on them on the train, etc..  Beersmith and Droid.. the power!

I must agree, it would be great if I just had to pull out my phone to do a calculation and then save it to my virtual brewsheet and not have to bring my computer into my steamy garage!  Oh yea and it would be great if my phone could sync with computer too.  Perhaps through internet... so I could have access to all my recipe's!

not only that, but have it automagically sync so I could pull from the data on my desktop (or from my phone to the main computer to keep everything up to date).  Man that would just be sweet!

Ziggybrew said:
I hate trendy gadget phones. But if BeerSmith was mobile I would go techy ;D

Guess what? I now own android.  Boy was I wrong.  I love this thing and wonder "where have you been all my life?"  Yea, that would be sweet to sync with Beersmith on my laptop.

I was the same way -I had no use for 'smartphones' -my previous one was a blackberry and I utterly failed to be impressed with it -or understand what all the hoopla was about it.
I love my android -this thing is nothing short of amazing.

Knowing how software development works,  Brad won't devote much time to this unless there's a significant demand for the product( and a clear set of concrete requirements)...  So, to the first: here's my vote!  I would love to banish the laptop from my garage while brewing and would LOOOOOOVE an Android complementary app to BeerSmith 2.0. 

To the second, I think the key is to drive traffic to beersmith.com and to consider the app a "complementary app" not a design your entire beer recipe and manage the process app.  It should be used to help provide better and more comprehensive information back to the Beersmith application to make the recipes more accurate and inform the next brew session.  Here is a small list of features I would want (and be willing to pay for):

> I like the comment above about syncing across the web.  I work on the laptop to plan out the session and then it syncs the timer and other info to my droid.
> Brewday check list that
    * had check boxes for crossing off steps (including grain bill - did I put in the full 13 lbs of pale malt?)
    * Reminders for my process - did you clean/sanitize your counterflow chiller?
    * Notes section to mark down how friggin hot it is
    * Place to put down measurements as I go (pre-boil OG, amount of boil off, etc...)
    * Since it's an application and not a printed brew sheet, how about the ability to display warnings when the measurements that you are taking deviate from the plan...  "You're pre-boil OG is too high, consider adjusting hop additions or adding water to dilute"
> A comprehensive brew timer that would give me the ability to time the entire day down to the hop additions.  It would be really nice if it could help me time out the day (1 hr for prep, 10 minute mash in, 60 minute mash, 20 minute recirc, 45 min sparge, 20 minute "get-to-boil") with some buffer timing in between...  This would help keep me "focused" (with all those tasty distractions in the fridge).
> Some basic tools from Beersmith like:
      * calc strike temp
      * refactometer conv tool
      * Water volume

There's my two cents... Hopefully, Brad finds the time to get an Android app out...

-Steve

I second that.  I wouldn't care much for the idea of actually composing a beer on the 'droid, but being able to sync the brew-sheet would be nice -and it wouldn't hurt if you were allowed to make minor changes with it (and sync back to the main computer -but really, just syncing the brew-sheet would be a nice touch).

Steve (sskarupa) has a great point and objective.  Not necessarily looking for an App than can do all things but something where I can take my recipes, inventory, wish/shopping list and a brew timer would be nice as well.

I hate to drag up an old thread but since I just purchased BeerSmith (and it's fantastic) I'd love to see a complementary app for the Android. Especially if we could link it to our Desktops to grab our brewday steps, shopping list, etc. With the 2000+ views I bet there would be a following.

Keep up the great work on the software and I know I'll keep enjoying it! Thanks for all your hard work Brad and Happy New Year.

~SB

Brewer's Assistant ( Free Android App) allows you to import your Recipes from BeerSmith to your phone. Just save them as a .xml file and email it to your phone.

I also use Brew Timer (also Free) for my brew day. These two together with BeerSmith on my desktop make not having to run back and forth or risk my printed copy getting wet a great time saver. 

I would be great, if it syinced you invantory and shopping list, so improptu stops to the lhbs can be more produtive

ArtCox said:
Brewer's Assistant ( Free Android App) allows you to import your Recipes from BeerSmith to your phone. Just save them as a .xml file and email it to your phone.

I also use Brew Timer (also Free) for my brew day. These two together with BeerSmith on my desktop make not having to run back and forth or risk my printed copy getting wet a great time saver.

Great tips, thank you.

That said, it would be wonderful to have a Beersmith Android App for all the benefits that such an app would provide. If I'm going to export the Beersmith file and then import it to another application, I might as well just print out the brew sheet instead. Having a mobile version of the app would allow us to make changes on the fly, update our inventory when we purchase items at the LHBS, make notes on brew day (heck, maybe even snap some pictures from the phone while brewing to add into a notes section?).

Here I am sitting on my brand new tablet with Android, and dreaming of beer smith mobile and placed on my wall for viewing.... Gone wil be the days of running to my laptop (which by the way) is as heavy as a brick!! Come on guys!! What do we need to do to get this on Android! For me it would be worth helping pay the cost of development..... Thats one sugestion for you Brad.

Hi,
  I have started some early versions looking at development for the iPad, iPhone and
Android mobile platforms.

At the moment I'm finishing up a cloud server to allow sharing of recipes across the internet.
I believe this is an important feature to have for the mobile platforms as ultimately brewers want
to be able to access their recipes from several computers and devices.

Cheers,
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  I have started some early versions looking at development for the iPad, iPhone and
Android mobile platforms.

At the moment I'm finishing up a cloud server to allow sharing of recipes across the internet.
I believe this is an important feature to have for the mobile platforms as ultimately brewers want
to be able to access their recipes from several computers and devices.

Cheers,
Brad
Brad,
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I received my Transformer Prime (Android 4.0.3) a few weeks ago and would love to use this during brew-day! Keep up the great work!

edit: there was someone on homebrewtalk forums who was looking on building a recipe database. I pointed him/her to this thread =)

Back