• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

potential alchohol calculation by sugar volume

R

Rival

hello, my hydrometer broke and I have to wait 2 weeks until I am able to order a new one. I have a bunch of cider i would like to brew in the meantime and would like to know if there is a tool in BeerSmith to help me figure the potential alchohol?
My cider is 65 grams sugar per us pint. In my head it came out to roughly 7% potential alchohol, but I wonder if there is a tool on beersmith to calculate this for me. Thanks.

or even better would be a tool to allow me to convert the info i know already into specific gravity.
any help is appreciated.. i am going to pitch the yeast on this tonight and am using a champagne yeast so i am expecting a very dry result.

You can try to estimate the FG from the starting gravity and average yeast attenuation.  BeerSmith actually does this when providing the estimated FG.  Then use that to estimate your alcohol content.  It probably won't be highly accurate, but it may work until you can get a new hydrometer.

Cheers,
Brad

Back