• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hydrometer readings durring fermentation

Big B

Brewer
Reaction score
I have my first batch of homebrew fermenting in my basement.  From what I have read it is recommend that a hydrometer reading be taken to determine if fermentation has finished.  I ambrewing in a bucket and am worried about lifting the lid during the process.  How often should a tormenting beer be disturbed to take readings?

If you're sure you don't have a leaky lid, then just wait until the airlock bubbles at less than 1 per minute.
To use your hydrometer, pull the airlock, use a sanitized wine thief (turkey baster) to draw off a 1/2 cup for your flask, spray sanitizer on airlock, reinsert, test, taste.
Keep notes.
You will enhance your brew if you allow it to clear before bottling. I'd leave it in the fermenter for 10-14 days before bottling. Your patience will be rewarded. Racking to a clear secondary fermenter will allow you to watch as the magic happens.
Using a carboy for primary lets you see everything as it happens and is very educational if you keep notes.

Back