• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

what happens if my yeast pack has a little ice in it!?

iceman5

Apprentice
Reaction score
i have made 2 batches now with liquid yeast packs that got a little to cold ice in them they both rose up and i put them in my  fermenter both batches have an of flavor like an ice beer! no flavor! is this the reason or am i doing something else wrong ps im really pissed off dumping the 1st 50 bottles down the drain and now i will have to do it again!

can anyone help? is this a yeast problem or a different problem? the beer has no flavor !?

I dont know what anyone else is thinking but I would like to see the recipe. That might tell part of the story.

I know that flavor you are thinking of but I have only experienced outside of beer. Never in. Usually on something in the chest freezer I did not wrap good.

Did you make a yeast starter?  I'm not sure what happens to the cell walls when they freeze?  My guess is that if they crystallize it probably destroys the cell and you would have dead yeast?  Having said that, a chemist I certainly am not and thus, am probably talking out of my arse.

Living in a fairly small town in North Dakota I often have to get things mailed to me and last winter I had some liquid yeast sit out on the doorstep a little too long.  Some of it did look a little slushy but not all of it.  I made a starter and got activity.  In fact the beer turned out really good so I'm thinking, so long as you have active yeast the cold probably isn't the problem. 

Can you give some insight regarding the recipe, fermentation temp, pitching quantity, wort volume etc.  That might help in diagnosing the problem. 

this was an autum amber kit from midwest with white labs and the second batch was a recipe i used before now with different result  i did use a funnel to filter after! cool down before adding yeast i also used ice to cool it down fresh ice from the store i know i diddnt go over 160 on steeping  the grains i sanitized everything?

Well if you have read  much of anything about yeast  and brewing you know already that there are only one  species of  yeast that is of use in the brewery: Saccharomyces cervisiae.  Laboratories and yeast-freak-brewers cultivate and breed  (I wonder if they do recombinant DNA modification)  to that species of yeast  so that it can perform in certain ways.  The most common breeder's trick is just to manipulate the environment over many thousands of generations of a yeasts life cycle to encourage the expression of certain genetic characteristics  that may be dormant  absent  those certain conditions.

ERGO: if you alter the strains and stresses that your yeasts undergo outside the design parameters  of the breeder, then you should expect that you will get a different result than designed because the yeasts have been  pushed around in ways that fall outside the design parameters.  In short you altered what might have taken years of breeding efforts.

I've had some dialogs with guys who really get into yeast manipulation.  They do things that I'd never  - ever- E-V-E-R do.  They do it because it gives them pleasure. I wouldn't because I can't see myself enjoying the process  one little bit.

Hey~!! It's a hobby it's not supposed to make sense.

Those guys put various kinds of strain on their colonies and manipulate their environments to produce results that they can replicate over and over again.  Hat's off to 'em I say.

So I think that  all you did was introduce a rather dramatic variable to your  yeasts environment  and it was one for which  you had no baseline or data  with which  extrapolate a probable result.
Now, however you do.

Isn't that wonderful?
Now we all know not to be freezing our yeasts.

Back