• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Post-Bottling Transfer

miamidave

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year and would like to begin entering my beer in competitions.  I just learned of a competition sponsored by a local home brewers club.  I've got two brews ready for submission, but have run into a problem.

I utilize 22 ounce bombers to bottle my beer.  The competition guidelines specify that entries must be in 10-16 oz. bottles.  Is it possible to transfer my beer to a smaller bottle without destroying the product?

Alternatively, if I choose to keg in the future, can the beer be safely transferred to a bottle?

If not, guess I'll be bottling to 12 oz. going forward!

I bottle exclusively, and use both sizes, the 12 oz for comps. 
Yes, you can bottle straight from a picnic tap with a piece of tubing to reach the bottom of the bottle to reduce foaming. 
Not sure about moving from bottle to bottle.  You'd lose some CO2. 

I just received the November 2010 issue of Brew Your Own (BYO).  Coincidentally, there is a brief article explaining the process of counter-pressure bottling from a keg.  Timing is everything!

Back