• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refrigerator convertion

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
I want to start kegging my beer, and I have a Kenmore refrig that is about 8-10 yrs. old and I would like to convert it into a kegerator. It has a top freezer and bottom refrig, nothing fancy. I have separate temp controls for the freezer compartment and for the refrig. I think I can turn the freezer off or way down. I will check before I do any modifying. Can I run my beer lines through the floor of the freezer that separates the freezer from the frig so I can mount my taps through the freezer door where they would be mounted up higher, rather than half way down the refrig door, to avoid accidentally opening the beer taps up when opening the freezer door, or are there cooling lines running through that floor or shelf?
Next question, how can I tell if I have cooling lines running through the sides of my frig? I want to go with a 20 lb. co2 tank and I would like to have the tank on the outside of the kegerator, and run the gas line through the side of the frig. Any info would be of great help. Thanks, Cowboy Up :)

My first thoughts are that running your beer lines into the freezer compartment will cause your lines to freeze up. Whether or not the actual coolant lines run in the floor of the freezer compartment, not likely. Most are built into the top and/or sides...... but that may not always be the case.

So I'd recommend just placing the faucets on the fridge door as high as possible, use`the freezer area to frost those glasses (always nice) and not find trouble you weren't looking for! But that's just my opinion

Yep. I can't find a good way to do that either. I wanted the taps out of reach of the grandkids. The problem I ran into was that I had two extremes to choose from. Either warm lines/beer running through the disconnected freezer or frozen line that won't flow.
I've seen some guys successfully run the taps out of the side to avoid conflict with the door, but that would be difficult to hit just right and I that set-up wouldn't work for me anyway.
88Q had it nailed: There is nothing better than pulling out a frosted glass to pour your brew into. (Little tip... make sure the glasses don't touch if you put them in wet. You may accidentally fling a glass onto the floor while grabbing one. :'( )

Thanks for the info guys. Just thought I'd ask around for some opinions before I went to drilling holes in my frig.

cowboy up said:
I want to start kegging my beer, and I have a Kenmore refrig that is about 8-10 yrs. old and I would like to convert it into a kegerator. It has a top freezer and bottom refrig, nothing fancy. I have separate temp controls for the freezer compartment and for the refrig. I think I can turn the freezer off or way down. I will check before I do any modifying. Can I run my beer lines through the floor of the freezer that separates the freezer from the frig so I can mount my taps through the freezer door where they would be mounted up higher, rather than half way down the refrig door, to avoid accidentally opening the beer taps up when opening the freezer door, or are there cooling lines running through that floor or shelf?
Next question, how can I tell if I have cooling lines running through the sides of my frig? I want to go with a 20 lb. co2 tank and I would like to have the tank on the outside of the kegerator, and run the gas line through the side of the frig. Any info would be of great help. Thanks, Cowboy Up :)

You can drill holes through the sides and mount your taps there.
That's what I did and it works great.
It's the second one that I have built.
All of the cooling lines run through the back.
Then you don't have to worry about the lines when you open the door.
:)

Back