• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dopplebock Optimator

Ziggybrew

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Stolen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Brau, Munich, Germany.

Thank you..... I can't pronounce that name. Oh well we are brewing this on Halloween. May not even be ready until July '11.

7.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 50.74 %
7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.36 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.69 %
0.03 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 0.20 %
1.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc 
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc 
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Lager

Maybe you've done something similar already??

I'm doing a bock next, and have accumulated a lot of Maltodextrin recently, so will try that. 

What are typical amounts of MD in a 5 gal batch? 

Do you mean typical amount of MD for bocks? I am "Malto Dextrin challenged" and don't yet know what would be typical.  This recipe, called for a half pound. (The pumpkin ale I just did called for a full pound.) My LHBS had a book of classic recipes and this bock claims to have evolved from a 1397 recipe. With Home brewing, I'm constantly learning new things.

I want to try a milk stout soon. I haven't settled on a recipe and assume Lactose, Maltose or Malto dextrin plays a major role.

MAJOR CORRECTION: I am using Southern German #838 yeast in a starter mix. (Not 2206)

Back