• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer style needs to be added

Seabee John

Apprentice
Reaction score
I would love it if you could add (I know it's not an official style) a cascadian dark ale (Black IPA) style to the data base. This is quickly becoming a very popular beer and there is plenty of talk about making it a BJCP style.  

If there are others who would chime in on this to help make it happen, please do!
Thanks!
-john

I would love it if you could add (I know it's not an official style) a cascadian dark ale (Black IPA) style to the data base. This is quickly becoming a very popular beer and there is plenty of talk about making it a BJCP style. 

I made one Cascadian this fall. I Loved it! I made another last week (Although my temps were a bit high) I expect to be thrilled!? I hope they BJCP adds this beer. Don't knock it till you've tried it!

I checked, and you can add a new style. 

Click on Beer Styles under Views, and up left is a New Style button. 

I'm sure you could find some stats online somewhere.  Either BYO or Zymurgy covered it not long ago.

If this is not an "official" style, I'm wondering how my fav brewpub just won a gold for their Cascadian Dark at the Great American Beer Festival. It is a Fantastic beer!

They also just won the World Beer Cup 2010 for their  - "Shredder's Wheat"   Gold Medal - American Style Wheat, as well as many other golds.

I am brewing their version today (if my Fed-Ex makes it through the snow).

I did find these "Proposed Guidelines" online.

Proposed Style Guidelines.
Cascadian Dark Ale (aka India Dark Ale)
[size=8pt]Aroma: Prominent NW hop aromas: citrus, pine, resinous, sweet malt, hints of roast, toast,
chocolate malt, and/or Carafa back-up the hops. Dry hopped character is often present. No
diacetyl, esters generally range from low to none. Though the resinous, piney, and citrus hop
aroma generally comes from NW American hop varieties, hops of other origins may be used to
achieve this character.
Appearance: Deep brown to black with ruby highlights. Head varies from white to tan/khaki, and
is generally long-lasting.
Flavor: A balance between piney, citrus-like and spicy NW hop flavor, bitterness, caramel malt,
and roast, chocolate, or Carafa-type malts.
Roast character ranges from subtle to medium. Black malt is acceptable at low levels, but should
not be astringent. Intense ashy, burnt character is not appropriate. Caramel malt is acceptable at
low levels but the finish should be dry. Diacetyl should not be present. Emphasis should be on
hop flavor, which when combined with roast/black malts often exhibits a minty, spicy character.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium, hop bitterness and tannins from roast malts combine to create a dry
mouthfeel. Resinous character from high levels of dry hopping may create a tongue coating
sensation.
Overall Impression: A highly-hopped, medium-bodied dark ale, similar in many ways to a strong
version of American IPA, except that it incorporates dark malts and signature NW hop varieties,
sometimes in conjunction with fruity esters. Bitterness and body is much closer to an IPA balance
than a strong ale or American stout. Finish is a nuanced interplay of hop and roast bitterness to
create a dry quenching impression. Alcohol can accentuate the roast character in stronger
versions.
History: A style that came to prominence on the Northwest Coast of North America in the early
21st Century. Northwest hops play key flavor roles, balanced with malt, roast malts give color
and flavor, but body should be reminiscent of an IPA, not heavy like a porter or stout. The style
celebrates the hops of Cascadia, the Pacific Northwest, but is commonly brewed in other regions.
Comments: Some brewers prefer to cold steep the dark grains to achieve a very dark beer without
the tannin contribution of adding the grains to the mash. The use of Sinnamar to enhance color is
common. The interaction of dark, roasted malts and grains with NW hop character creates a
unique spicy flavor component described as minty, or rosemary like.
Ingredients: Pale or pilsner malt, some mid-range caramel malt in a supporting role, Carfa type
malts, both regular and debittered, small amounts of chocolate malt, roast barley, and black patent
malts can also be used. Northwest American hop varieties, or hops with similar characteristics (eg
New Zealand), for flavor and aroma additions. Heavy dry-hopping is common.
IBUs 60-90+
Color: 40+ SRM
OG: 1.060-1.075 (15-18 P)
FG: 1.008-1.016 (2-4 P)
Abv 6.0-7.75%

The BJCP updates their style guidelines approx. every four years, and certainly this is one to be added. 

GABF and World Cups use different guidelines that are more open and experimental in nature, IMO.

88Q said:
If this is not an "official" style, I'm wondering how my fav brewpub just won a gold for their Cascadian Dark at the Great American Beer Festival.
Because breweries enter unofficial beer styles in the catch all "Specialty Beer" category 23A.

Brewer's Assoc. has their own guidlines which are used at the GABF. I prefer their styles to BJCP guidelines, so that is what I use in BeerSmith.

Ed

Back