• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pounds and ounces

P

Pam

When using ounces as the units of measure, would it be possible to format weights of 16 ounces or more as pounds and ounces?

For example, I'd like to be able to view my prospective mild recipe as:

1 lb 8 oz Dry Extract
3 lb 5.3 oz Light Malt Extract
8 oz crystal malt
6 oz chocolate malt
etc.

Right now I find myself switching the grain unit back and forth between pounds and ounces so I can figure out what I'm going to be measuring.

Thanks for putting out such a useful and well-designed product!
Pam

Pam,
 I think this can be added, though I need to think it through a bit since there are some places where it might be more appropriate than other places in the program.  

It seems to fit best for amounts of grains and hops.

Cheers!
Brad

At the risk of starting a trans-cultural debate, you've just given me another reason why I prefer the metric system ;D

Trev

Already done - it will appear in the next release some time next month.

Cheers!
Brad

Not working in mine.
I was actually getting ready to post this same suggestion, but saw this thread.
In mine, there is the option of weighing in either ounces or pounds, but it won't convert 16oz to pounds, as suggested in the original post. (E.g., 6.25# comes up as 100 oz.)
Am I missing an update?
Also, on the same topic, the other fix I was thinking was to simply allow four decimal places on the pounds measure. That would give ounce increments instead of 4oz. (I.e., .0625# instead of .06#; .125# instead of .13#, .3125# instead of .31#, etc.)
It may seem insignificant, but it would make scaling alot more accurate if nothing else.

Yeasty,
 Go to the options command on the "Tools" menu.  Click on the "Units" page.

Next click on the checkbox at the bottom that says "For English Units, display both pounds and ounces..."

Note that this will only work for grain/extract amounts - they should show up in pounds and ounces.

Cheers!
Brad

But you still can't increase in less than 4-oz units, right?
That's got to be an easy fix.
I know I can change it to only ounces, but then I end up with hundreds of ounces worth of an ingredient.
If there were another decimal place, we'd have 2oz increments; another still and we'd be golden.
Better/easier yet, just make the "both pounds and ounces" toggle work when you've selected ounces as your unit, then you can increase by a factor of "1" and still roll over to a pound every 16.
Good?

Try entering "33/16"  this is 33 oz/16 to convert to pounds. . . .    neat

Fred

But you still can't increase in less than 4-oz units, right?
That's got to be an easy fix.

There is an easy fix - go to the Options command on the Tools menu.  Pick the Units tab, and then modify the "Ingredient increment" field for grains, hops, or whatever you are trying to increment.  This will change the increment for the increase/decrease buttons when you are building a recipe.

Cheers!
Brad

Well, I wouldn't call going to the tools menu for every recipe an "easy fix," but it does seem to work, doesn't it.
[Much easier for me just to nag you till you change the code! ;D ]
I guess I could just build reciped in ounces, then change the unit to pounds/ounces when done.
Would it be difficult to make it so that it can increase grains by the ounce and still call 16 oz a pound?

[second thought]
Looks like it's saying "15 ounces" but thinking .94 pounds. Is this correct? Probably too small to be noticed, but that will throw the math off for the color, SG, bitterness, etc., by a little. More pronounced in something like a mild red ale with 5% roasted barley perhaps. And not that the math formulas used for figuring these things are all that exact in the first place....

Yeasty,
 I'm still a bit confused...how do you want it to behave?  Do you want it to increment by small amounts at first and then large ones later?

Also - are you asking to be able to enter amounts such as "1 lb 4 oz" and have it automatically convert that amount on entry?

Thanks!
Brad

First off, Happy Holidays, Brad. Thanks for the awesome program. Took some homebrew out to Christmas dinner and it was a huge hit. I love this hobby.
Now, what I'd like is to be able to screw around with a recipe, and decide instead of 1# of Crystal 10, I want 15oz. To do that, I have to work within ounces throughout the recipe and toggle to lb/oz at the end.
If there were 4 decimal places, I could do the whole thing in pounds, and be done. But as it is, if I'm in lb/oz mode it only lets me increment 4 oz at a time.
Seems like what the program is doing now is taking sixteenths of a pound and calling it ounces. If instead (or as well) it took 16 ounces and called them a pound, then I could hit the "decrease amount" button and go from 1# 1oz to 1# to 15oz.
I hope that's clear. Or at least no more confusing than before.

OK,
 So if I understand you correctly, you just want it to change the increment to ounces when you are under a pound?

So above one pound the increment would be larger (say 1/4 lb or 1/2 lb) while below a pound it would go to ounces?

Thanks!

Brad

Not quite.
To put it simply: increments in ounces, but 16 of them are called a pound.
So it would go 14oz, 15oz, 1#, 1# 1oz, 1# 2oz....

Yeasty,
 I had pretty good results when I entered "1/16" in the increment box for grains (units tab, options command on the tools menu).  If you enter "1/16" in the box and press OK it does the calculation and stores it internally with the right precision.

Yes, it is a work-around, but it seems to work pretty well.

Cheers!
Brad

Yes! That did it. Sorry, I missed the fraction. I was trying to do it in decimals and it wasn't really working.
Now it's perfect. You can retire. ;D

Back