• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Making Your Own Recipes

noreaster

Apprentice
Reaction score
Maybe it's on here and I haven't found it yet but how does one go about coming up with his own recipe? I'd like to make my own IPA but how do you know what grains, how much of each, what hops and addition times for the hops, etc? I suppose this question applies to about any style you want to make. Thanks.

As with recipes for anything, it's good to have a feel for what is being made before making your own recipe.  Look at existing recipes, such as those on the Beersmith site, look at the style guidelines at the BJCP site and such.  You might even try a good existing recipe first, see what that turns out like and make adjustments from there. 

Thanks for the reply RandomSF. That's basically what I've been doing. I just wondered if there was a better way. I've been looking at recipes for IPA's and there are just so many different ones and they use different ingredients and different hop addition times. It just doesn't feel right to randomly pick different ingredients and addition times based on all the different recipes but I guess that's the way it is. Kinda like the brewing itself. There's no one "right" way to do it. I'd just hate to invest the time and $$$ in a batch only to have it not taste half way decent. But I'll keep working at it. Thanks again.

I like to start with recipes I know I like.  I email brewers and ask for a homebrew recipe or a grain bill with percentages. Build a recipe from what I can get then try it out.  I have had good success this way.

- joe

I have brewed about 90 of my own original recipes.  In my experience, approach it much like cooking.  Know your ingredients.  You know what certain spices or herbs do to your soup or whetever you are cooking, so you need to know what different malts and hops do to you beer.
When using a product that I am unfamiliar with I read any description I can get my hands on and read other recipes that I know how the beer tastes and uses the same product.  Feel free to expirement, but, in the interest of not ruining a batch of beer, go easy with unfamiliar products at first.  Its better to make a note to add more next time than it is to realize you put too much in and dump it.
The other side is to know your style guidlines.  If you are shooting for an American IPA, for example, use ingredients that would be found in an American IPA (american malts and hops varieties).  Also be aware of gravity parameters.  Not that all beers must be made to a style.
The best source for ideas are other recipes you can find in BeerSmith or other books.  When I am making a new recipe I will page through my books and cruise homebrew recipe sites for inspiration and ideas.
As you use some ingredients you will learn which ones to use and which ones you like.

I love making and trying new recipes.  It is almost my favorite part about brewing.  It is a way to make the beer my own. Be creative.

Back