• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

cooler size for mashtun

CE

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to the forum so hello to everyone. I'm an all grain brewer and have been brewing on an off for about 4 years.

I'll be stepping up to 10 gallon batches soon and need a new cooler for a mashtun. I don't brew big beers so I think the most I'll ever have for a 10 gallon batch would be about 25 pounds of grain. I'm trying to determine the ideal size of cooler. I think 48 quarts would technically be big enough but not very user friendly. I see alot of people using the Coleman Extreme 70qt. Would this be too big? I'm afraid I'd lose too much heat.

I'd like to hear from people who use 70 qt cooler for normal size batches. Does this work well? I'd also like to hear from anyone with practical insight about selecting the correct cooler size.

Thanks!

CE

I would say go with the 70 qt.  I use a 48qt for my 5 gal brews and it can get pretty cramped in there with some bigger brews.  I brewed a 10  gal batch the other day with some friends using a 72 qt cooler and that seemed like the best size for that much grain(23lbs).  We lost very little heat over the mash.  Plus you never know you my want to brew a bigger beer someday.

Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned about heat loss but it sounds like you didn't have that problem. I'll probably mash about what you did (23lbs) so this sounds like a good option.

Anybody else use the Coleman Xtreme 70qt for normal (~1.050) 10 gallon batches?

The only consideration in going with a bigger MT is the method of sparging you'll use.
A shallow grain bed means you will batch sparge

As with any insulated MT you will of course pre-heat it  before adding your grains.

I went for the 52qt Coleman Xtreme. The 70 qt is cheaper but I don't need that much room. I think 52qt will be plenty of room to mash and stir ~24lbs for a 10 gallon batch. I think it will hold the temps better. I hope the conversion is as easy as the 70 qt.

Looking to brew my first 10 gallon batch over Christmas break.

CE - Thanks for your post.  I'm moving up to 10G batches too, so the discussion is very timely.  I found a chart on-line that I thought was very helpful:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

I have a 48 qt cooler that I use for 5 G batches now.  I'm hoping to get away with using it for 10G batches for awhile instead of moving to something larger.  I'm brewing my first 10G batch next weekend.

We have used the 48qt and just fill it to the rim and calculate the needed sparge water and any additional water i need to get to my desired volume.

Back