• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Additional sugars throwing off pre-boil gravity estimate

SCWells72

Apprentice
Reaction score
First off, I love BeerSmith.  I've been using it for 2-3 years now and it's absolutely instrumental in my brewing process.  This weekend I brewed an all grain Belgian Stout that uses liquid Belgian candi sugar in the boil.  I generally monitor my run-off with a refractometer to see how my pre-boil gravity is tracking as I get close to the target volume.  Unfortunately BeerSmith included the candi sugar in the pre-boil gravity (i.e., "with all grains/extracts added").  At first I thought I'd WAY undershot my pre-boil gravity, but when I hit my post-boil OG pretty much spot-on I realized what it had done.  I went into BeerSmith and removed the candi sugar, and sure enough the pre-boil gravity based just on the sugars from the grains was what I'd have expected.

Is there any way to add sugars for use in the boil without having them included in the pre-boil gravity estimate?  Actually I know a partial answer, and that's to flag them as "Add After Boil", but of course that screws up the instructions.  Instead is there any way to specify that these sugars should be calculated only as part of the boil, and ideally even specify when they should be added to the boil.  I prefer to add these types of sugars late in the boil just as many do with LME/DME additions.  Hopefully I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

Thanks much for the great application and any tips on how I might solve this in BeerSmith!
Scott

Scott,
  Not currently - generally people add sugars in the boil. 

Brad

Brad, I actually am adding the sugars in the boil.  However, BeerSmith only gives two options for doing that: adding the sugars without checking "Add After Boil" in which case the sugars are included in the pre-boil gravity, or adding them with that option checked in which case they're not included in the pre-boil gravity (but are included in the OG) but in the instructions they're listed under "Add Ingredients to Fermenter".  Neither option seems correct to me.  Or at the very least I'd like to have a separate gravity calculated for just the run-off without any adjunct sugars added since to me that's the most valuable aspect of the pre-boil gravity...making sure I'm tracking toward the correct gravity as I'm approaching the target pre-boil volume.  Not sure if that helps to clarify...

Thanks for the quick reply!
Scott

Back