• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Condensation dropping demijohn neck crud into fermenter

magnethead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was just looking for your thoughts please on the following issue I noticed. I use of Brewbelt covered in an old duvet. I have a thermostat attached to it so the brew doesn't get above 22c. It is winter here and the room temperature is about 17c on average. I just noticed this recently so I'm guessing it's the drop in temperature.

My question is (Hopefully you can make it out in the photo), the dried on crud that the condensation has knocked off the neck and now floats on the surface...Will this change the taste of the brew significantly? I'm new to brewing and am trying different beers all the time so I don't have something brewed earlier to compare with. This one is an oatmeal stout.

Thanks in advance

CondensingthecrapoffthetopoftheDemijohn1.jpg

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If it worries you?  You can siphon into a secondary to let it clear better. The taste will be fine. (I hope)?

the crud you are concerned about is made up of the same stuff that is in you beer.
It's just dried out.

ok, that's fair enough, I read somewhere (I'll try to track it down) that when bottling straight from the Demijohn, be careful not to disturb this crust as it can cause off flavours..Might have been someone been overly pernickety.

I bottled the Beer tonight and it tasted fine, As I dipped the siphon in, it was as if it had to break through a LAYER of oil. Weird.

magnethead said:
ok, that's fair enough, I read somewhere (I'll try to track it down) that when bottling straight from the Demijohn, be careful not to disturb this crust as it can cause off flavours..Might have been someone been overly pernickety.

I bottled the Beer tonight and it tasted fine, As I dipped the siphon in, it was as if it had to break through a LAYER of oil. Weird.
My stouts look like they have an oil slick on them.

Back