• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Shared library two computers

wahoo

Brewer
Reaction score
Is it possible to use two computers (in my case, my desktop and a laptop) with a single set of data?  I am going to try sharing my Desktop's .bsm file on the LAN and seeing if I can use a laptop to access the data.  Ideally changes made on one machine will be reflected on the other.  Any problems with this to look out for?

share the whole directory and run BeerSmith from the network.

You can actually install beersmith to a usb thumb drive and just run it from there. That way it's always available with the same data on whatever computer you run it on. I do this.

I would caution that you should not run two copies on two computers from a single shared drive - one will very likely overwrite the other's data as there is nothing to stop the two programs from overwriting each other.  As long as you run one copy at a time and then close it you should be fine.

Brad

I just switched laptops and installed BSmith on new laptop.  And then copied the vital .bsm files plus my custom text report to the new setup.  Worked great.  I am hoping I will use it while brewing more now since this laptop is not so heavy and brick-like. 

So could a "move my data" button be created that just created a ZIP file of the critical bsm files?

A user could then email that to himself, or use a jump drive, to get the bsm files synced to a 2nd system.

It was a real bonus for me since I use all the custom grain libraries and I've deleted a lot of the generic entries to reduce clutter. 

Could two computers utilize something like DropBox for the base files? My brew partner and I would like to use one directory so we look at the same recipes, edit the recipes, etc...keep one unified log of brew days and recipes. He has his own copy and username on beersmith. Is there anyway we could basically use the same files from here on out?

dfoster said:
Could two computers utilize something like DropBox for the base files?

Brad has said that Dropbox isn't supported at this time. It may in the future, but I'm not sure that's been promised. At any rate, the advice to avoid two computers using the files at the same time holds true.

Back