• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Malto Dextrin as Priming Sugar...Dooohhh!!

magnethead

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I made a batch of Maple Ale 2 weeks ago, just removed it from the Fermenter and bottled it into 500ml bottles, adding a teaspoon of Malto Dextrin in each bottle because it looks like brewing sugar :) and I heard it helps head retention...

I just found out that Malto-Dextrin is largely unfermentable and needs to be added to the MASH!!!

two questions:
Do I need to open all caps and put in a teaspoon of Brewing sugar now?
What effect will this have now on my Maple Ale? Make it much more cloudy :( sweet?

Thanks in advance
Nathan

ok, Going to put in half a teaspoon of brewing sugar into the Bottles and re-cap them, Just going to leave one bottle with the Malto-Dextrin as a lesson to myself  ::)

magnethead said:
I just found out that Malto-Dextrin is largely unfermentable and needs to be added to the MASH!!!

Think it's the boil, near the end just to mix and sanitize it in.

you never know.  Sometimes yeasts can surprise.

I'd give it two weeks in the bottle and pop one.  If you got CO2 you are golden  If not then maybe you screwed the pooch.

Yup, just signing on for the results:

It got plenty of heat(22c) for 2 weeks after adding the brewing sugar. But still there was no carbonation! There was plenty of sugar in the bottles so maybe the yeast just gave it up? or the malto addition just wrecked things.

Second failed batch....not too bad, just made another Weisbeer using SB-06 and Weistephan yeast...

Back