• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Specific Gravity?

hopman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Wondering why the SG was so low? Didn't taste very good at all.

Ingredients
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 42.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [4.10 %] (15 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale 

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.006 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.26 %
Bitterness: 49.1 IBU Calories: 236 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.1 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
Sparge Water: 4.29 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.97 qt of water at 167.0 F 152.0 F

Getting 1.054 from 10.5# grain seems ok, so I'll guess it's the 1.006 FG, which is 88% AA%, pretty high even for 1056 ale yeast.  If there is any off-aroma or flavor, it's possible some aggressively fermenting microbe got a foothold and it is continuing to eat sugars up? 

I agree... sounds like something else may have gotten in there....

One question I would ask is how long before the mash was the grain crushed? I don't think the FG is all that bad (but I like dry) but if there was ANY possibility that the grain was damp, stored (for any amount of time) and then crushed, you may have gotten some foreign stuff at the start. I mention this because it happened precisely that way with me on a very similar recipe.

By the way, I think the recipe itself sounds like a great beer.

yeah, it looks like a great recipe. My suggestion would be to mash at 155-157 instead of 152.

This will result in a sweeter finished product because the sugars are more complex and not as easily broken down by the yeast.

Mashing at the low 150's usually produces a drier tasting finished product but a tad more fermentable.

I might also suggest at least one pound of Cara-pils malt per 5 gallons to add more body to your beer. Carafoam sounds like it may be similar in which case it might help to double your amount. Just my 2 cents!

Back