• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Quick Recipe

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My wife has informed me that we are having a New Years Eve party and she wants my kegarator ready to go.  The problem is, I'm actually a little behind and although I have two beer finishing up their primary now, I need a third to be ready to go on New Years Eve ( have three taps).  Here we are just a week before x-mas so I'm thinking that gives me two weeks.  The problem is, I live in a relatively small town in North Dakota so I don't have access to a home brew store though there is a health food store that actually has a decent supply of liquid yeast and specialty grains (the owner is a home brewer I believe) though nothing specific is guaranteed. 

Anyway, I was thinking a wheat beer could be ready in that time though I don't think I can get malted wheat in time to make it work (would need to be ordered).  The health food store has a bunch of unmalted wheat that I've used in an oatmeal wheat stout and I'll use it in a wheat beer if viable but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do that would be fairly quick? 

I have about 25-30 lbs of Briess 2 row by the way so I have the base malt to do something.  I have a scant amount (under a pound) of a lot of other specialty grains but if this is for a party I think I need to go somewhat light given the audience (Kolsch, Blonde Ale?)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I believe the health food store has a lot of fuggles and kent and maybe some other English hops.  They usually have at least one British ale strain though very rarely have I seen the ESB strain in there.  Usually the London Ale or something like that.  That's an idea

Bitter or blonde would seem do-able.  I'd choose the most flocculent yeast and let that be the 'decider.'

London Ale yeast would work fine, I've had good success with it.  If the have the ESB, it finishes fast and I've also used it with great success.  Plus I've got it in my agar test tubes for later use.

Back