• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Sizing in BeerSmith

G

ggltd

I want to start using my corny kegs for fermentation.  I believe there is enough head space to brew a standard 5 -1/2 gal batch for one keg and this can be scaled for 10 gal batches. Anyone have suggestions for adjusting recipes in BeerSmith to accomplish this?
Thanks, Gary

Sorry maybe I didn't phrase this correctly-  what batch size works the best for a corny keg based on your experience?

I would say to brew a 5 gallon batch leaving 1/2 gallon for fermentation head space and then use vinyl tubing running into a bucket filled with some water for the blow off.

This way if you have a real flocculent yeast strain it can go out into a blow off bucket instead of through and out an airlock. I would use a 2 gal or so bucket only filled 1/2 way with a cap full of bleach thrown in. (or other santitizer)

Keep in mind that the shape of the 5g kegs affects fermentation and you will have a different result using the keg than carboy.

We come down on the side of caution. If used as a Primary, there is just barely enough head room in a corney for a 5 gal batch of 1.050 or lower beer, higher gravity or an extra 1/2 gal may give airlock problems.

I'm not sure about the shape being a significant factor. In large commercial breweries very tall cylindroconical fermenters can cause temperature and pressure stress on the yeast. I just don't think 5 gal in a keg will be a problem. It is quite common for the kegs to be used as fermenters. More common to be a secondary than a primary, but often used as either.

Good Luck

Preston

Back