• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

100% smoked recipe

dogma46an2

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Does anyone have a great 100% smoked recipe such as Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer Aecht Gchlenterla Rauchbier Marzen Clone maybe

I just did a Smoked Rye Porter that turned out great. It's  perfectly balanced with the smoke, rye and the body of the beer.
When my friend and I were going over this recipe, we were discussing how much smoked malt to use. She was thinking 6 lbs. of Cherry wood smoked malt (For 10 Gallons), Well we decided to only go with 3 lbs, We nailed it. Great Beer.
This is for 10 gallons.

3 lbs. Rice Hulls  8.82%
18 lbs. Pale Malt  2row US  52.94%
4.5 lbs. Rye Malt  13.24%
3.0 lbs. Chocolate Malt  8.82%
3. lbs. Smoked Malt  (Cherry Wood) 8.82%
2. lbs. Crystal 60  5.88%
.50 lbs. Special B Malt  1.47%
2. oz Cascade 60 Min
2. oz Cascade 15 Min
Irish Ale  Wyeast  1084

Mash at 153.0 for 60.   
mash out at 168.0 for 10 min
Ferment at 66 then raise to 70 when ferment starts to slow down.

The Gal I was brewing with said she was given Cascade hops form somebody, But they smelled like Fuggels to me. 
At the brew store, they also had an Apple Wood smoked malt,  I'm glad I went with the Cherry Wood Malt instead  ( Great Beer)

Man that does sound tasty ... Not what I'm looking for ...BUT I Have to do a porter for my brewmaster meeting so i may just be sampling this recipe ... Thanks again

Your welcome. If your able to find the recipe your looking for, make sure you post it. I would love to check it out.
stevemwazup

Hey were those mash temps the temps you plugged in to the step temp? because when i plug those temp in it gives me this ...

Single Infusion, Full Body
Mash In add 42.50 qt of water at 164.8 F  (step temp 153.0 F)
Mash out add 17 qt of water at 211.0 F (step temp 168.0 F)

stevemwazup said:
     I just did a Smoked Rye Porter that turned out great. It's  perfectly balanced with the smoke, rye and the body of the beer.
When my friend and I were going over this recipe, we were discussing how much smoked malt to use. She was thinking 6 lbs. of Cherry wood smoked malt (For 10 Gallons), Well we decided to only go with 3 lbs, We nailed it. Great Beer.
This is for 10 gallons.

3 lbs. Rice Hulls   8.82%
18 lbs. Pale Malt  2row US   52.94%
4.5 lbs. Rye Malt  13.24%
3.0 lbs. Chocolate Malt  8.82%
3. lbs. Smoked Malt  (Cherry Wood) 8.82%
2. lbs. Crystal 60  5.88%
.50 lbs. Special B Malt  1.47%
2. oz Cascade 60 Min
2. oz Cascade 15 Min
Irish Ale  Wyeast  1084

Mash at 153.0 for 60.   
mash out at 168.0 for 10 min
Ferment at 66 then raise to 70 when ferment starts to slow down.

The Gal I was brewing with said she was given Cascade hops form somebody, But they smelled like Fuggels to me. 
At the brew store, they also had an Apple Wood smoked malt,  I'm glad I went with the Cherry Wood Malt instead   ( Great Beer)

34 lbs of grain by a ratio of 1.1 to quarts of water gives me 37.4 quarts of water, or 9.35 gallons of water.
Water to add=  9.30 gallons
Step Temp = 153.0             Infusion Water Temp = 167.6
Step Time = 60.0 min
Rise Time = 2.0 min

I normally use a water to grain ratio of 1.2, but my brew partner had me try a ratio of 1.1
I think if we used any more water, it wouldn't have fit into the mash tun.
stevemwazup

Back