• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New user / brewer, question on OG and brewhouse efficiency

dabeindan

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I have done 3 batches of all grain so far, and new to beersmith (started using it on my first all grain). What I have found is in all three cases, my actual OG is higher than the estimated OG (example, actual 1.070 vs est 1.065, 2nd IPA actual 1.080 vs est 1.070, then Saison 1.070 vs 1.065). I am measuring using a floating hydrometer. Sparge w/ single infusion, light body, no mashout. 48qt Coleman cooler. I was able to hit / hold 150 - 151 pretty consistently. 

So questions are:
Am I doing something wrong?
Am I sparging incorrectly (I do follow the instructions), seem to be working ok.
or am I doing something right? do I just need to adjust my brewhouse efficiency from 75% to 80% on the software?

People have always told me that I will not get high efficiency as a home brew, especially as a beginner. So getting higher right from the start seem too good to be true.  ???

Thanks for the help, here is a drink to your health.

You are taking the proper steps ti identify your brewhouse efficiency.  Once you have yours you can use that value when customizing a recipe to reach you target gravity. 

The design and elements of your system as well as your process will determine your efficiency.  Since there a re a number of factors including grain crush, you can never be sure what your efficiency will be until you measure it over time.  I borrowed a hydrometer and took reading from two to be sur ethey agreed.  I also used a refractometer as a third data point. You should take multiple readings at 59 or 60f to be sure your hydrometer reading are correct. 

More important than a high efficiency is a consistent efficiency.  This is an important step in consistent beers.  Economically, the savings at homebrew scale are pretty small.  Roughy speaking, A 1.070 beer at 70% efficiency needs 13.89 lbs of grain and 14.96 lbs at 65%.  A 1.050 needs 9.92 lbs at 70% and 10.68 lbs at 65%.

I'm having the same exact issue!  My last four extract batches ran 80% effeciency w/1000L starter...  The 75 % default in Beersmith each time makes my ABV higher than I was targeting for by 1/2 point.

The EE% you use at the start of the day is based on your experience with your set-up from prior brews.

As a beginner that is OJT (on the job) and you dial in closer each time you brew.  So you should use 77% the next time, and then 80% until you consistently hit the estimated numbers.  If the equipment stays constant, and there is no brewer error that day, you should usually get very close after you've adjusted the estimated EE% to fit your actuals of several "same process" brews.  Change your crush, sparge too fast, miss the pH, or do anything else that impacts sugar conversion or sparging efficiency and your results may change. 

But you can't taste efficiency.  Being dialed in really just saves you wasted $$ in grain and allows you to hit your OG targets consistently and get the wort you wanted.  I have tasted some awful brews efficiently made. 

Back