• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Working on my Recipe for my "Cocoa-Nut" Porter

mhenry41h

Brewer
Reaction score
  Im trying to stick to BJCP Style Requirement for a Brown Porter but add my own flair.  I have this uncontrollable urge to use real toasted coconut and Hershey's cocoa powder.  Im considering adding both to my mash with a particular emphasis on cocoa in my mash.  I want the chocolate to be fairly pronounced while my coconut is an undertone flavor.  I think I may toast coconut flakes in the oven and add them to my primary fermentation.  I definitely want to do something different with this brew.  I'm gunning for:

OG = 1.052
  FG = 1.014
  Bittnerness of 25 IBU
  Color of 27 SRM
  ABV around 5%
  I want a bitterness ratio just over .500

Does this sound attractive to you?  Oh, using 1084 Irish Ale yeast

Beer_Tigger said:
Yes it does.  Send me a bottle or two.

Im probably going to do this one in the next 2 weeks.  I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Sounds good! I toasted oatmeal last year (last week) and it smelled like cookies. The beer was a stout and the toasted grain was a bonus treat. good luck!

toasted oatmeal... mmmmm. have to try that. Toasted coconut sounds awesome too.
But when I add my own flair to a recipe, it usually bumps me out of the BJCP range ::)

Back