• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bacteria

Roby

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I canot get rid of the bacteria in my wash or bottles. I was and sterilize everything. I've even bleached everything and 2 out of ten washes have worked. What can I do?

Maybe a few questions first. Bare with me, they may seem obvious or irrelevant to you but it will help narrow down the problem. Please don't get offended.
*Are you sure it is a bacterial infection? Can you accurately identify good/bad bacteria?
*Is the environment that you work in free of drafts, moldy air, airborne dust or flour?
*Is EVERYTHING (including hands, spoons, thermometers) sanitized?
*How long are sanitized items and areas left exposed to open air?
*Have you watched more than one video about proper sanitation?
*If you rinse after cleaning, is your tap water free of bacteria? Try no-rinse, Star-san?
*Are there people, children or pets that may be getting in or around your stuff?

Shooting from the hip I would ask this: Is it within your budget to just toss anything suspicious and start over with new equipment? (Plastics can be hard to sanitize in some cases)

I forgot to ask an important question.
What, specifically, is getting infected? The fermenter? Bottled beer? All bottles? Some?

Ziggybrew said:
I forgot to ask an important question.
What, specifically, is getting infected? The fermenter? Bottled beer? All bottles? Some?

This is what i was going to ask . From what i understand your bottles are the ones with what you think has infection . please a little more detail .

I recently had a problem with spoiled batches.  Multiple.  It sucked.  Depressing.  Almost quit the hobby.

I replaced the siphoning equipment and started fermenting only in glass (my old fermenting buckets now hold sand and salt).

Haven't lost a batch since.

Back