• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Over sparging for temperature mash?

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm currently an extract brewer but am working on a partial grain Oktoberfest ale in BS.  I don't have a good cooler with a drain so plan on starting using a temperature mash with only a saccharification step.  I will only be doing 1.75 lbs of grain.  My pre boil volume will be about 6 gallons and am using the following grain in the mash.  Grist ratio will be 1.25 quarts/lb.

.5 lb 2-row
.5 lb Vienna
.5 lb Munich
.25 lb Caramel 30.

I am not doing a mash out but want to do a sparge using a kitchen strainer.  Target mash temperature is 154*F and plan on holding that for about 45 minutes.  I checked the brewsheet and it has me at 2.19 quarts of water for the mash.  I get that.  But, since my total boil volume is 6 gallons it has be using 5.66 gallons of sparge water.  Isn't this over sparging?  Isn't there a formula that says use so many gallons of sparge water per pound of grain?  I see what BS is doing, it's having me get all the water I need ready to go and then using what I need for mash and then the remainder is used to sparge.

Thanks.

Mark

Back