• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can you recommend some Commercial beers to sample for a Czech Pilsner?

Earthson

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently made a Czech Pilsner as my first all grain recipe.  Very basic recipe w/ 8lbs Pilsner Weyermann, 3 oz of Hallertau hops, and Wyeast Czech 2278 yeast.  I used a step mash w/ 90 minute boil.  Fermented for 3 weeks @ 52 and then lagered @ 34 for 1 month. 

I just tried it over the past few days, and realized that I have NOTHING to compare it to from memory.  So, my problem is that I have nothing to compare it to to see how I've done.  So, I bought a can of Pilsner Urquell, Holsten Premium, and Lowenbrau original.  I could see similarities, but mine was still different.

Any other types you'd recommend to taste test against my brew?

Sounds like the beers you bought are good for comparing although some consider Pilsner Urquell as one of the best beers in the world. When I made a Pilsner Urquell clone it come out okay but couldn't compare to PU. I did notice that after about two months it got a lot better and at three months it was awesome. I'm not a master brewer by no means but the longer it sits, (to a certain degree) the better it will get.

Enjoy.
Simie

Yes Urquell was great, and had a depth that mine didn't even touch.  But, maybe next time I'll try a different yeast and a couple types of Noble hops...and maybe a triple decoction mash...should add some depth/complexity.

But who knows...after a another month, mine might be fantastic.

The defining ingredient in a Bohemian Pils is the Saaz hops.  At least historically, that's all they used.  And PU is the benchmark.

I just brewed one and used five ounces of Saaz and just a small amount of Halletaur for bittering and some flavor complexity.  

Haven't tasted one yet, but it smelled like PU at the transfers and bottling.  

If yours is dry and crisp enough, try some Warsteiner and Spaten and see how it compares to the Germans.

Attachments

• 02B_PU.bsm
    18.8 KB · Views: 257
Now that I've made my first pils, I hear all about Saaz.  :-\  Too bad I didn't try that one first.  But, maybe I'll pick some up before I do my next batch, and see how big a difference it makes. 

Earthson said:
Now that I've made my first pils, I hear all about Saaz.  :-\  Too bad I didn't try that one first.  But, maybe I'll pick some up before I do my next batch, and see how big a difference it makes. 
That's the beauty of brewing... there's always the next batch to try something new while drinking this batch.

Some of the better rated Chech pilsners are:
1. Reality Czeck - Moonlight Brewing----  A
2. Sam Adams Noble Pils-----                B-
3. Live Oak Pilsner-----                        A-
4. Berkshire Chech Pilsner-----              A-
5. Beersel Lager - Broewerij Drie Fonteinen--  A-

Pilsner Urquel actually fell at #14 on the BeerAdvocate list and only received a "B" (just above Budwar).  I always liked Staropramen Lager myself (but then it was 35 cents a pint in 1996).  i made a "Pilsner Urquel" clone from extract several years ago, thinking I would lager it.  It did condition in a refrigerator several weeks before being put in a cool cellar but never achieved the exact taste and was not the same color I was looking for.

Back