• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost Recipes.... again

pilotdane

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have Beer Smith on a portable hard drive and create my recipes on a Win 7 machine and carry the HD to a XP machine to print my brew sheet.  It works without trouble 95% of the time but...  I went to plug in my OG after brewing today and I had the usual problem where my recipes were visible but the ingredients window was blank.

This is all done on my portable hard drive:  I created a new folder in the Beer Smith folder and moved all my recipe files to that file, started Beer Smith, and now no recipes are visible (there are no recipes, my recipes are gone as well as the sample recipes).  I moved the recipe files back to their previous location and re-started Beer Smith but no recipes are visible.  Then I deleted the newopts14 file and there was no change so I deleted both the newopts and newopts14 files, again no change and my recipes are not visible.  So, I'm stopping before I do more harm than good.

Also the virtual store folder on my computer's C drive is empty.

I assume reinstalling is probably the best, easiest repair.  Which files do I need to copy from my old Beer Smith to the new?  I have a lot of ingredients so I would like to copy over my inventory items in addition to my recipes.

Hi,
  I would just make a clean install to a different directory and then import your recipes and other data from its old location. 

By default BeerSmith dad is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory under Recipes.bsm

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista/Win 7.

Note that on many systems this is a hidden/system directory which will not show up unless you go into the options for Windows file explorer and set it to show hidden/system files.

Brad

OK, I've done a clean install to a new folder and I've copied my recipe file over and I can see them in the new install so that part is OK.  How do I import my inventory into the new program?  Is my inventory information stored in the ingredients files?

Yes,
  Its in the ingredient files which are in the same location as the Recipes.bsm file.

Brad

Thank you for the help.  The usual delete the newops14 gets me through most corruptions but every 6-12months it seems to get really corrupt.  Apparently bouncing back and forth between three operating systems can give it a headache ;D  But I've finally broken down and bought a netbook for BeerSmith so hopefully you will not be digging me out of trouble again.

Beer Smith is happily loaded on my new netbook with all my recipes, ingredients and inventories.

Thanks for your help Brad.

Back