• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Original gravity way off what was calculated

Big_Tom

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,
I put together a German Pilsener recipe and added some corn sugar to get the gravity up to 1.046 (calculated by beersmith). Now the batch is in the fermenter and when I measured the OG, I got 1.068  :eek:
My primary concern is that the yeast (I used Saflager w-34/70) may not be able to process all the sugar... I am very much O.K. with the expected alcohol content .... :p

I am pretty sure that I did not measure anything incorrectly - any thoughts?

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• MyPils.bsm
    14.4 KB · Views: 244
The settings were buggered.  It was set on a Type of "Extract" so the 5# of 2-row were ignored in the math.

When I changed the Type to Partial and All-Grain, the 2-row was included, and the EE% of 75% led to 1.069.

An EE% of 74% led to 1.068, which matches your results.  Use Partial and 74% next time and see what happens. 

As to the yeast cell count, it's hard to say.  If you proofed the yeast with warm water to maximize cell count, then perhaps.  If you just sprinkled, then maybe not.  Might depend on O2, FAN, nutrients, and minerals being favorable. 

PS:  All - it really helps when recipe files are posted.  It's much easier to find issues.

Yikes, that is going to be interesting... With the batch being 5.25 gal, the calculated gravity is dead on and exactly what I measured.... Well, I pitched another yest package and I also had some yeast nutrients added. If it comes out drinkable, it will be an interesting surprise for some friends giving it a try... Thanks for helping me to find the issue...

Interestingly, the grain is not being completely ignored when it is set to "Extract", the impact on calculated gravity though is minimal.

Tom

Has been in the primary fermenter for 14 days now and is still producing CO2. Current gravity is at 1.011, so I am almost done. Calculated ABV 7.45%  :eek:

I just did a recipe where the est. was 1.054 .. but i got 1.064 .... all the calculations were correct so im not sure what the issues are here ....

dogma46an2 said:
I just did a recipe where the est. was 1.054 .. but i got 1.064 .... all the calculations were correct so im not sure what the issues are here ....

You must be one efficient son-of-a-gun!  :D

Back