• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Honeysuckle APA

Big B

Brewer
Reaction score
This is my first beersmith creation, I am pleased with how it is going so far.  In day two of the Primary and the yeast are going nuts.  I attached the file, hope this posts right.  I will keep everyone up to date throughout the process.

Attachments

• Honeysuckle APA.bsm
    13.7 KB · Views: 636
That is a very unique recipe. Hop alternatives are interesting. Been wanting to read Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers. A friend of mine said that he thinks the author is a little "anti-hop".  Have used other bittering agents before?

No, this is my first time.  Actually this is my first all grain batch.  I just hope it doesn't come out too earthy.  I want the acidic fruit notes to come through, as that is what I like best about APA's.  I was originally going to put a full pound of Honeysuckle flower in but when I made a tea out of it to do a test run, the flavor was more pronounced than i expected.  The yeast is still chugging along although it has slowed down a little bit.  They do use this flower in tea's in China to promote some sort of healing, I just used them because when you say the word Spring that was the first ingredient that came to mind.

Wow - Nice Touch!  We like to try new and interesting things. This sounds like one of them! Thanks for shareing!

Where did you get the Honeysuckle flower? Did you pick them in season or can you buy them out of season?

Thanks again

Preston

Pirate Point Brewer said:
Wow - Nice Touch!  We like to try new and interesting things. This sounds like one of them! Thanks for shareing!

Where did you get the Honeysuckle flower? Did you pick them in season or can you buy them out of season?

Thanks again

Preston

Same question here

Hope this turns out great!  I am a self-professed anti-hop head.  I've brewed a spruce ale with no hops, just spruce tips, and an IPA with less hops and cardamom added - it is fantastic.  I've never acclimated to the idea that a beer should taste like I'm sucking on a grapefruit rind - yuck!

I have a coworker that is allergic to hops actually and am looking to do one with out hops id like to do thid honeysuckle IPA and have no hops added

Back