• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Why are my ingredients invisible

mcarb

Apprentice
Reaction score
For some reason, when I either open an existing recipe or try to create a new recipe, I can add all of the ingredients I want and everything works, it will show up on the brewday sheet and everything. But on the main recipe creating page the box where the ingredients should show up is empty. It has only recently started doing this (I think after I paid for the full program)? Should I reinstall or is there a quick fix?

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a corrupt "newopts14.opts" file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista/Win 7.

Note that on many systems this is a hidden/system directory which will not show up unless you go into the options for Windows file explorer and set it to show hidden/system files.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business. 

I just had the same problem today.  I had just finished brewing 3 all grain 5 gallon batches (busy day) and a friend asked for some of my other recipies I had formulated on BeerSmith.  I opened the BeerSmith, clicked on the first recipe and all was good except no ingredients were listed.  I paniced for a while then got on the forum and found this simple fix.  Thanks again for your great product, can't wait for the new version to come out and I hope it has a sweet refractometer spreadsheet plug in to streamling gravities for me.

Back