• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Munich Dunkel - questions

Earthson

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently brewed a Munich Dunkel and I'm unsure about the final result.  I had never tasted one before, but the style seemed to speak to me, so I decided to brew up a batch (2nd attempt at all grain).  I just started to pour a few days ago.  Seeing as I have nothing to compare it to, I'm unsure if I've hit the target or not.

I used 5.5 Lbs Weyermann Pilsner malt, 4.5 Lbs Munich 20L malt, 1 oz Hallertau for bittering, and Wyeast Munich Lager yeast.  Fermented 2 weeks @ 52, 1 week @ 60, then lagered for 4 weeks @ 35.  Served from Corny keg.

Mine tastes quite malty...at first I thought it was too malty, but I'm getting used to it now and quite like it(never tasted anything like it).  From what from I read, the style should be malty and almost 'bread-like'.  Anyway,  I went out to my local specialty beer shop and picked up a bottle of Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel, and a Warsteiner Dunkel to compare.  Both commercial beers were quite similar to each other, but differed from mine in taste.  They both seemed to be lighter and I could taste the pilsner malt more so than the munich.  They also seemed to have more carbonation.  And, they had a complex flavour that mine didn't have...I can't really nail it down though...I've never tasted a Schwarzbier, but I can imagine that they would fall nicely into that category.  Mine felt a little heavier and definitely more malty...and I can see where the idea of bread comes from...something in there matches up with that description.

Anyway, when all is said and done, I'm confused.  Are the two commercial brands typical of a real dunkel?  Or are they more like Schwarzbier?  Is mine sounding right? Anyone out there who has brewed a dunkel want to offer some stories about how their Dunkel tasted?  Anyone from this forum in Edmonton, Alberta?  Want to come by for a taste?  Any advice/discussion is appreciated.

Earthson said:
I used 5.5 Lbs Weyermann Pilsner malt, 4.5 Lbs Munich 20L malt, 1 oz Hallertau for bittering, and Wyeast Munich Lager yeast.  Fermented 2 weeks @ 52, 1 week @ 60, then lagered for 4 weeks @ 35.  Served from Corny keg.

Recipe seems fine.  Many dunkel recipes are near 100% Munich malts.  Sounds like you mashed warm enough to ensure the maltiness.  Lagers take more yeast and more time.  Did you make starter and check SG to verify it was done before transferring? 

Earthson said:
Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel, and a Warsteiner Dunkel to compare.  Are the two commercial brands typical of a real dunkel?  Or are they more like Schwarzbier?  Mine felt a little heavier and definitely more malty...and I can see where the idea of bread comes from...something in there matches up with that description.

Ayinger is the first classic example listed, so it should be a good one.  Warsteiner is similar and both compare to a microbrew dunkel we have on tap right now. 

Dunkels are bready malt bombs, Schwarzbier is not that malty and allows a slight roasted/choco flavor.

Sam Adams Black Lager is listed for Schwarzbier and should be available there.  Try that and Ayinger and yours side by side?  See if you get that roasted from the SABL?

Back