• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding hops to my IPA kit?

KJlive

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I am amazed at the knowledge. I just finished my 2nd "kit" brew. I hope to graduate to developing my own recipes, but really need to understand how to determine ratios. Anyway.....If I purchase an IPA kit and want to make the beer hoppier, what hops and ratio do you recommend and how/when should it be added during the process? (I like a robust, strong hops flavor). Currently, I have not used a 2nd fermentor, but do have a carboy when I reach this level of knowledge! Thanks in advance for you help! 

Howdy, 
There are some beer smart people around here and they are much better than I about explaining how hops are rated and why. Adding hops earlier to the boil will give more bittering and towards the end of the boil more finishing aromas.  Some beers that have an 80 IBU rating can be very bitter compared to those with an 80 IBU that balance the malt with the IBU's.

What kind of commercial beers to you like?  Because when you say you like it hoppy then I think Pliny the Elder.  But then again, I am west coast.  East coast IPA's seem to be maltier(sweeter).

So, I would assume the gurus here would need to know your grain bill and hop bill as well as a good target beer to give you an estimate on how much more to add if any.

Personally, without knowing anything I would double the hop bill and see how it turns out and adjust my next recipe to how I like it. That's what I did when I first started but.... I heart West coast IPA's ;D

Thank you for the reply. Quite honestly, I only purchase craft beers. However......since you are a West Coast guy.....I like the Sierra Nevada IPA, Stone IPA and many others that I cant think of off the top of my head. I will give your idea a try. Hey.....what do I got to lose? Again,thanks!

Put 2 or 3 oz cascades in dry hop.  About 5 days after the fermentation.  Drop these directly into the fermenter.  Don't secondary, no need.  You can use a hop sack in the carboy but I don't  I let them float around and mingle.  Dry hop for at least three days.. 

I usually add my dry hops after 7 days and leave them in 7 more. I keg so any hop matter is cold crashed and settles very quickly. 

Back