• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fly Sparging....Need Help...!

dantocon

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Just did my first attempt at using the "fly sparging" method a couple days ago.  Normally I use brew in a bag, but heard the fly sparge method was a fairly simple way to up conversion efficiency so I gave it a go.

I was brewing a 5 gal batch...shooting to have 5.5 gals of wort after the boil to account for trub and wort loss during racking, to equipment, etc.  I mashed about 12.25 lbs of grain at approx 155 F for 60 mins.  Then I used a brew bucket with a racking spout to "fly sparge" the mash, draining run off into the boil pot. 

However, I ended up with an even lower efficiency than I usually do with BIAB resulting in a very low OG.  Does anyone have know where I can find a detailed step-by-step explanation of the fly sparging method so I can cross check what I did against someone that knows what they're doing?

I'm looking for details on how much water to use while mashing, mashing temps, but more specifically, how hot my sparge water should be and how long - if at all - I should allow the sparge water to sit on the grain bed before draining into the boil kettle. 

Thanks all!

I batch sparge.  I do two runnings most the time I like it a whole lot better than fly.
Easier,  just as good, and quicker.

I say efficiency is for the birds.  Mash voorlauf and sparge.

Efficiency is for one of a few types of brewers:
1.) the impoverished brewer who can't afford a few more pounds of grain
2.) The brewer who built too small a mash tun
3.) the Commercial brewer who will kill to squeeze a few  more pennies out of his grain bill
4.) Those people  who just enjoy chasing efficiency numbers around  ( Hey~!! It's a hobby, it's not supposed to make sense~!!)

I went back to my records for my last brew (always keep detailed records) and here are the figures I think you're looking for:

Grain bill - 9# two-row pale, 1# C40
Single infusion mash at 155 for 60 minutes
Sparged at 170 until I got just under 7 total gallons
Starting volume - just under 7 gallons with SG of 1.020
Ending volume - just over 5 gallons, OG was 1.061

Here is a big factor - I adjusted the sparge rate so that to took 65 minutes to collect 7 gallons.

I use two 5 gallon round coolers for my mash tun and HLT.  I installed a circular drip ring (manifold) in the lid of the mash tun for my version of fly sparging. [you can find them online and are only about $10 and very easy to install]

Using an online efficiency calculator my efficiency was around 83%

Hope some of this was helpful

Oh and I used a pretty standard ratio of mash water to grain - 1.5 quarts per pound of grain.  Sparge water was the same volume.

Back