• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dead Man's Coffee (Irish Coffee Stout)

Kyral210

Apprentice
Reaction score
Fantastically easy to drink Coffee Stout! Balanced flavours with a slightly sweet edge. Brewing another batch very soon and cant wait to enjoy it again!

Attachments

• recipes.bsm
    14.5 KB · Views: 829
Just because I am a nice chappy, here is the beer's label!

5399230932_a94b7deac3_b.jpg

(the art is from of these fine coffee brewers http://www.ravensbrew.com/dmr.html)

My friend joined the community of brewers about a year ago. At first, I was too skeptical and didn't support his hobby, as I used to order drinks from these  delivery liquor stores and considered them fine. But since I had tasted his coffee stout, I have changed my mind. Now I even try to participate in brewing process and I like it. 

Good Jonathon, am just couple a days old here, and really enjoying this place

Kyral210 said:
Fantastically easy to drink Coffee Stout! Balanced flavours with a slightly sweet edge. Brewing another batch very soon and cant wait to enjoy it again!

Can you clarify how you are adding the coffee?  Is it grounds?  A brewed batch of coffee?  Or both?

Sometimes I cant see the things right in front of me. :p

Thank you

Kyral210 said:

Trying to access this recipe.  I'm assuming that it is a beersmith format but I can't open it.  Any thoughts?  I'm very interested in this...

evilotto said:
I'd like to be able to look at this recipe but I can't open it in Beer Smith 2...

It's in the format for BeerSmith 1.x. Try right clicking it and use "Open With" by pointing it to BeerSmith.

BigBry68 said:
Can you clarify how you are adding the coffee?  Is it grounds?  A brewed batch of coffee?  Or both?

The recipe calls for grounds added right to the primary.

My preference for coffee additions is to do a cold steep and add the coffee directly to the beer as part of the water volume. Seems to be richer and smoother that way.

evilotto said:
Kyral210 said:

Trying to access this recipe.  I'm assuming that it is a beersmith format but I can't open it.  Any thoughts?  I'm very interested in this...

See if this works for you.

Attachments

• Dead Man.docx
    58.3 KB · Views: 316
brewfun said:
BigBry68 said:

The recipe calls for grounds added right to the primary.

My preference for coffee additions is to do a cold steep and add the coffee directly to the beer as part of the water volume. Seems to be richer and smoother that way.

Sounds obvious but by cold steep you mean just grounds in cold water and let steep for a while?  Thanks

Do you live in Ketchikan? It's the home of Raven's Brew and the artist for all of their roasts is Ray Troll. Another local Ketchikan celebrity.

Grind the coffee small. Add the grounds after the boil when the temperature has dropped to 70C, (158F). Let them steep for 10 minutes. That will given you a great coffee flavour. If you add them to the boil the taste will be harsh and bitter.

Adding the cocao nibs into the secondary will give you the best chocolate flavour. I add some lactose for mouthfeel and a touch of sweetness. Adding oats into the mash will add smoothness.

I add my coffee by making espresso with my espresso machine and then adding it to the secondary.  It's hot enough that it is sterilized and I can add the amount I want based on the taste, so that I get the perfect coffee balance each and every time.

BigBry68 said:
evilotto said:
Kyral210 said:

See if this works for you.

Thanks Bry.  That worked.

Back