• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking to use Dextrose in an Imperial IPA

mhenry41h

Brewer
Reaction score
Should the sugar be mashed or boiled?  When I put it in beersmith, it instructs me to boil it for 60 minutes rather than mash it with my grain.  I have never used sugar so Im not 100% certain how to go about it.  I saw a clone for Russian River's Pliny the Elder and it calls for corn sugar.  Im not making the clone, but my 5 gallon mash tun cooler will not allow enough grain for a 1.075 OG recipe.  I love Pliny the Elder so it seemed like a convenient way for me to hit a gravity that high with my current set-up...

The sugar should be boiled, in the last 5 or 10min.
How much sugar are you going to use? I wouldn't use a lot .
If you can, pick up some Light Dry Malt Extract, sold on-line or at a local brew shop.
This is usually the preferred method to add extra sugar to your wort.
Using corn sugar or just table sugar in large amounts can make the beer, just not taste right.
stevemwazup

I generally wouldn't consider adding this. I did see 2 clones for Pliny the Elder which both called for 1 ln of dextrose. I highly doubt Russian River is simply adding that much corn sugar to their batches ...but who knows.

RRBC uses 5% dextrose in Pliny (according to the recipe he shared with Zymurgy.  You can add it at the beginning or last 15 minutes.  I have seen both.  I think you want 15 minutes to be sure to kill any wild bugs.

Reasonable amounts of simple sugar are OK, and actually needed to dry out the finish in some high-gravity styles.  An 8% tripel made with all malt would be tough to get down to 1.008 otherwise.  In an IIPA, it helps get down to a nice clean finish.

Back